Gymnasio Neas Smyrnhs

High School Complex in Nea Smyrni

1967
Architects:
    Tassos Biris, Dimitris Biris
Collaborating architect:
    Kostas Xanthopoulos
Structural Engineer:
    Ioannis Karambatzos
Designed:
    1967
Built:
    1971



The school for 1200 female students occupies a particularly small kai narrow plot. The project expands around an inner courtyard-atrium on two levels. Small courtyards for the shorter breaks were designed on both floors, while on the west there is a second large open-air courtyard for sports. A pilotis was used to connect the two courtyards and to give transparency the building mass and the impression of visual lightness.